Monday, October 29, 2007

WTF is Web 3.0? 2.5? or Heck, even Web 2.0?




Attached is the recent keynote presentation that I gave at the recent OCE (ontario center of excellence) Mind to Market Series.

Thank you for to all those who actually paid to come hear me rant. I hope at least you found the breakfast/food to be decent. ;-)

I never had so many wireless mics hooked onto me at once... I counted 3 sets, which is pretty nuts (one for OCE, one for CBC Newsworld, and one for WNED - the public radio station for the Buffalo radio -- Go PBS/NPR/Public Radio!)

The day after this presentation was given was the first day that I think I got more than 4 hours of sleep in two weeks. Ah the joys of launching a new startup. Sometimes I do wonder I keep doing it...

Anyways, hope some of you will find this interesting. I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the web X.0 term. But I roll with what people can relate with if it helps communicate a message and provides a framework to build from. Please don't hurt me for overusing the meme... we had a mix suit/geek audience, and it provided an easy way to put a framework around things.

Comments, insults, criticisms, heckles that you were too polite to throw at me in public/in person, and whatever else are welcomed!

Enjoy.

[and a BIG thank you for everyone at OCE that was invovled in putting on the event - fyi, they DO not make money on the events - and to all those who dropped me an email - I AM catching up to my mail box... please be patient, thanks!)

4 comments:

  1. interesting piece. but mostly interesting because you speak of web 3.0 with no mention of semantics or ontology. a big part of what makes web 3.0 is meta data and how to make it useful for machines or virtual agents. you should really check this out. it might answer the WTF? part of your presentation.
    cheerio - devin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along the same meta data lines, something else that could hit big is the wide application of "human computation" - mass distributing complex computer calculations across thousands of humans.

    Imagine the technological implications of a machine that can understand the context of images or language - both could be achieved with present day technology using human computation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devin/Ari:

    Thanks for the comments WRT the meta/semantic web.

    So on my shelf I have no less than 4 books on that topic (most of which I can't bring myself to finish reading... ;).

    Yet I still struggle to see where its all going.

    I think social networks and user generated content (i.e. tags) are creating emergent behaviors and passive meta data that's all going to be really neat in terms of how we come up with new ways to extract greater value from these behaviors.

    One of my favorite books is from the former dean of the MIT CS labs, called the Unfinished Revolution. Its quite a few years old now... but he has made some great points about how agent technology has really yet hit its stride, and we're still building crappy user experienced and not taking full advantage of all the meta data thats around us.

    Perhaps this will change in the next web....

    ReplyDelete